ROOFING CONTRACTOR COMPANY - BEDFORD NH
About Bedford, New Hampshire – History
This was one of the Massachusetts grants made in 1733 to the surviving soldiers from King Philip’s War. It was also known as Narraganset No. 5 (also Souhegan East) was also under the jurisdiction of this province until 1741, when the line was settled. It was incorporated by the New Hampshire government May 19, 1750. The name was given in honor of Duke of Bedford, who was Secretary of State at the time in the government under George the Second and was for many years Lord-Lieutenant in Ireland.
The township’s first settlement was made in 1737. In 1737, a man named Sebbins arrived from Braintree (Mass.) and spent the winter in Souhegan East. He was a skilled at making shingles and he chose the spot between the old graveyard and Sebbins Pond on the north line that runs along a piece that belonged to Isaac Atwood. He drew his own shingles from the Merrimack River about a mile and half on a hand-sled and then rafted them to Pawtucket Falls, now Lowell, in the spring of that year. He was already a well-known figure in the pond, and there is a large area of land that he left behind.
Robert and James Walker, brother and sister, established the first permanent settlement in 1737. Matthew and Samuel Patten followed suit, both brothers and sons and daughters of John Patten. Soon after, many other people joined the ranks. From the time Joseph Patten lived there, the Pattens stayed in the same hut as the Walkers. They then built their own hut. Their first work began near the Merrimack bank, on the ground called Patten’s Field, just forty rods north Josiah Walkers’ barn. They were from Londonderry (N.H.). The Walkers lived immediately near the Merrimack, on a piece of ground known as Patten’s field, about forty rods north of Josiah Walker’s barn. John Patten, the father, arrived in Boston with Matthew and Samuel. They stayed there for a while, then moved on to Chelmsford and Dunstable. He remained there until he reached Bedford. The Joseph Patten Place, south of the first Pound, was the second parcel of land that was cleared. This is where the famous old flat and high granite stone can be found.
The town’s early residents were largely from Ireland, or the infant settlement of Londonderry (N. H.), where they had just emigrated from Ireland. Their Scotch ancestors were their ancestors. They emigrated in large numbers to Ireland in the middle of 17th century, moving from Argyleshire in the west of Scotland to Antrim and Londonderry in the north. This was where a significant emigration occurred in 1718. Some of them arrived in Boston, while others settled at Casco Bay near Portland. This colony was the foundation of many towns in the area. Windham, Chester and Litchfield, Manchester were all settled by Londonderry.
Rev. In his history of the State, Dr. Whiton says that many of their descendants “have risen up to high respectability; among them are four Governors of New Hampshire, one of the signers of Declaration of Independence, several distinguished officers in Revolutionary War, the last war against Great Britain, Stark, Reid and Miller; a president of Bowdoin College; some members of Congress and several distinguished ministers of gospel.”
In his “Life of General Stark,” President Everett observes the colony.
These emigrants are descended from the Scotch Presbyterians who were established in Ireland during the reign of James. However, they professed with national tenacity a religion that was not in line with Irish popular belief and did not like the English institutions of rent and tithe, and set out to settle in America. In 1718, the first group arrived in America and established a settlement at Merrimack River. Soon after, a large group of their countrymen arrived, bringing with them the art and skill of weaving linen. They introduced the potato culture to this area of America and provided a large number the pioneers of civilization in New Hampshire and Vermont.